The Senior Design Engineer – Modeling will partner with design and automation engineers, multiple internal teams and external suppliers to develop models at the appropriate level of detail, acquire right data from internal and external data sources, validate system performance using the model as a proxy, and leverage model experimentation to accommodate changes during firm engineering. This position will work collaboratively and under the supervision of Design and Automation Engineering Directors and Principal Engineers to visualize, validate and improve concepts for workstations, work cells, process modules and systems in the Target Supply Chain.
- Document, interpret, and communicate results to cross-functional teams
- Support Design and Automation engineers within the department with model development, analysis and experimentation
- Develop 3D visualization of layout, equipment, processes and material flow within a facility for virtual proof-of-concepts
- Validate performance of material flow systems using advanced computer-aided technologies such as discrete-event simulation and material flow analysis
- Work collaboratively with Design and Automation Engineers on new and improved designs for Target supply chain operations.
- Support the Design and Automation Engineering team with data related activities, such as data mining, organizing, cleansing and reporting
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of complex mechanical systems and designs and identify necessary inputs and outputs for modeling systems
- Collaborate effectively across all internal and external stakeholders including vendors, internal engineering team, operations & facility teams
- Identify internal databases, extract relevant data from them, and present data in the appropriate format for usage by team members
- Develop and maintain department’s data repository site for effective storage and retrieval of data and 2D/3D files
- Capability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to demonstrate excellent technical skills under conditions of ambiguity without much data
- Proficiency in manipulating and creating facility layouts with 2D/3D CAD software
- Proficiency in building and running material flow and discrete-event simulation models using 2D/3D off-the-shelf software
- Prior experience in advanced Excel, data visualization and statistical modeling
- Natural ability to speak and write effectively at all organizational levels.
- Master’s degree in Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and ability to manage several projects at the same time in a highly variable and uncertain environment
Qualification & Experience:
- Knowledge of material handling systems in a manufacturing or distribution system environment
- Knowledge of material flow methodologies including sequencing, kitting, repack, etc.
- Knowledge of Lean, Six Sigma, & other continuous improvement concepts & methodologies
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Engineering
Job Location: Sunnyvale, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A