Website Tesco PLC
As the Software Development Manager, your role is to build and maintain a passionate, engaged and effective team of engineers by taking a deep interest in people, making sure they’re happy, motivated and challenged in what they are doing. You’ll be guiding them to reach pragmatic technical solutions whilst keeping yourself close to the code, also taking ownership when things go wrong but celebrating success collectively and, in short, acting as a multiplier of your team’s effectiveness.
- Foster the careers of the engineers reporting into you by finding opportunity for growth, coaching, addressing concerns, and if necessary, implementing performance management.
- Grow the capability of Tesco Technology as a whole by becoming involved in our engineering hiring and being passionate about building high performing and diverse teams.
- Continually look for means to evolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
- Take ownership for the delivery of specific outcomes, or work across wider groups in conjunction with programme management to deliver more significant outcomes. Drive us to constantly improve quality.
- Take ownership of non-functional outcomes of Tesco Connect features, including performance, availability, reliability and security.
- Work closely with Product Management to identify and minimise risk within an outcome and help prioritise and evolve a workable technical solution ready for delivery.
- Represent Identity within wider technical discussions across different stakeholder groups, constantly broadening your understanding of our technology landscape so as to increase the effectiveness of your contribution.
- Customer focus: you can find the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence. You place the needs of our customers above the needs of you and the team.
- Written and verbal communication skills: you can communicate effectively and efficiently taking into account the nature of your audience.
- Problem-solving, analysis and computational skills: you are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tackling problems, you take a thorough and logical approach to solving them and retaining ownership through to resolution.
Qualification & Experience:
- Previous experience with management of software engineering teams of around 5 people in size.
- Previous experience of having managed product development using agile methodologies
- Hands-on experience of building and supporting reliable and operationally robust full stack and distributed Java applications/products
- Any previous experience of having managed a globally distributed software engineering teams would be a big plus.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence: you are aware of your own emotions, how you appear and can self-reflect on your actions. You can empathise with others and modify your behaviour and style accordingly.
Company: Tesco PLC
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: London, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A