Website Tesco PLC
As a Software Development Manager your primary responsibility is to build and maintain a passionate, engaged and effective engineering team. You do this through taking a deep interest in the people that report to you by making sure they are happy, motivated and challenged in what they are doing. You devolve decision-making and provide the team with the psychological safety to move fast. You guide them to reach pragmatic technical solutions and keep yourself close to the code without becoming a blocker. You take ownership when things go wrong, but celebrate success collectively. In short, you act as a multiplier of your team’s effectiveness.
- Foster the careers of the engineers reporting into you by finding opportunity for growth, coaching, addressing concerns and if necessary, implementing performance management.
- Grow the capability of Tesco Technology as a whole by becoming involved in our engineering hiring and being passionate about building high performing and diverse teams.
- Take ownership for the delivery of specific outcomes, or work across wider groups in conjunction with programme management to deliver more significant outcomes. Drive us to constantly improve quality.
- Take ownership of non-functional outcomes, including focus on performance, availability, reliability and security.
- Continually look for how we can evolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
- Work closely with Product Management to identify and minimise risk within an outcome and help prioritise and evolve a workable technical solution ready for delivery.
- Represent your team within wider technical discussions across different stakeholder groups, and be effective in doing so by constantly broadening your understanding of our technology landscape.
- Understanding of working in a matrix organization and owning all operational metrics and support
- Strong background in distributed systems working at scale
- Ability to handle multiple and competing priorities within a fast-paced environment
- Depth of professional software engineering experience and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Awareness of current technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices
- Strong hands-on nature and ability to roll up sleeves to produce product, evaluate tools,
- Collaborative and self-motivated in approach
- Ability to influence and persuade others with excellent communication skills and analytical ability
- Methodical, organised and action oriented in approach with a proven resiliency to cope with high pressure situations (e.g. release cycles)
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience leading agile engineering teams of 6+ engineers and architecting complex responsive web applications
Company: Tesco PLC
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Engineering
Job Location: London, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A