Website United States Postal Service
The U.S. Postal Service Inspection Service is seeking to fill an Assistant Laboratory Director at the National Forensic Laboratory in Dulles, VA.
- Directs the system-wide forensic activities of one or more laboratory disciplines engaged in scientific examination, research, planning, and analysis of programs and services. Directs the identification and interpretation of evidence in support of criminal and administrative investigations.
- Manages the development of specific discipline-related policies, programs, and strategic objectives to ensure consistency and discipline integrity.
- Oversees discipline-related career progression and training programs for forensic science analysts.
- Develops and reinforces laboratory and discipline protocols and procedures to ensure effective customer support. Provides technical guidance and direction concerning scientific protocols, analysis, and interpretation of evidence within a specific discipline.
- Oversees the evaluation of system-wide workload and staffing. Implements plans to enhance service and laboratory efficiencies.
- Serves as a technical expert in the specific discipline; maintains collaborative relationships with various national and international forensic science organizations and groups.
- Monitors the quality of analytic work products to maintain appropriate quality standards and ensure continuous service improvements.
- Supervises laboratory activities and analytical work of forensic, technical or administrative employees. Coordinates laboratory support of field investigations.
- Ability to evaluate system-wide workload and staffing, and develop plans sufficient to enhance service and laboratory efficiencies.
- Knowledge of forensic science protocols, procedures, and examination techniques sufficient to provide technical guidance and direction within a specific discipline.
- Ability to coordinate and implement laboratory support for field investigations.
- Ability to manage the work of others to achieve organizational goals, including planning objectives, monitoring performance, and providing technical guidance and training.
- Ability to monitor analytic products sufficient to maintain appropriate quality standards and ensure continuous service improvements.
- Ability to develop, review, and implement program policy and procedures, and related forensic science training plans and materials.
Qualification & Experience:
- EDUCATION REQUIREMENT Bachelor’s degree in physical or biological sciences, life sciences, chemistry or a closely related field from a college or university accredited by a national or regional accreditation organization recognized and sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Knowledge of forensic science techniques, laboratory operations and protocols, scientific methodologies, and forensic physical, instrumental, and examination procedures sufficient to manage the activities of one or more forensic disciplines.
Company: United States Postal Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Research
Job Location: Reston, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A